
Friendship Matters
When Zac was almost six months old, a local petition was being signed to stop the development of units in our neighbourhood. One of our neighbours went door to door for weeks organising petitions to submit to council, it was during his visits to each street, that he noticed how many young families had first born little babies, in their homes. He mentioned the fact to me when we met a week later and his wife had suggested that a local mother’s group was a fitting idea.
Nervously I gathered the addresses from him, printed up some invitations and delivered them to the post boxes of nine local families. The following week I had a house full of Mum’s and bubs – varying in age from eight months pregnant to five months old.
Two years later the group is still going strong, meeting every fortnight at one another’s homes. New local Mum’s have joined and couple have dropped away. A few of us have returned to work. Two have had second bubs and looks like there are more bubs on the way.
Apart from the Mother’s Group, we have family days at the park on the weekend, Christmas gatherings, babysitting swaps and dinners out with the girls. A chance for us to catch up and share our mothering adventures.
My out of character, sleep deprived, invitation two years ago has resulted in some lovely friendships and beautiful neighbours. It amazes me that such a small action has had such a wonderful outcome and I often wonder if I would know these women today, if I hadn’t been so bold!

1 comment:
That's just so inspirational.
Meant to be, LJ! How blessed you all are to have such a fantastic network so close to home :)
Post a Comment