Sunday, August 23, 2009




Why Do I Take On These Things!

For Zac's birthday party today I took on the stupid challenge of making a train cake. Not any train cake but my first ever gancahe and fondant cake. Yes - I am crazy!

I started on Tuesday night colouring the fondant, on Wednesday night I made the ganache, on Thursday I cheated and bought a premade chocolate mud cake slab and then cut it and put it together and then added the ganache coating, on Friday night I smoothed the ganache and then added the fondant, on Saturday night after all my other baking, I put together the cake, adding the decorations and setting it up on the board. There were tears and I swear that I am NEVER doing this again!

Here is the result of my blood, sweat and tears. Yes I am happy - it looked amazing and Zac loved it - the look on his face made it all worth while.







3 comments:

alliecat said...

Looks ace! Only one teensy tiny problem that I can foresee ...... you've set the bar high now! No ordinary round cakes for you anymore!

I have done the same thing, peaked too early last year with a super duper merry-go-round cake, and I did the tears and the "Never Again"s too. But here I am again, comtemplating this year's monstrosity!

Hope he had a marvy day, their little faces make all the effort worth it!

Bridgie Didge said...

Wow Leesa you clever chicken! That cake is amazing! And, yes - it is all worth the blood sweat and tears to see the look of joy on their faces. Zac is such a lucky lucky boy to have a great mum like you! :)

Being Me said...

Oh Leesa, you have surely outdone yourself on that one. It looks A-MAZING!!! Lucky little boy there.

I agree, the BS&T's are totally worth the glee on their little faces the next day :)